This September, I had the chance to attend the inaugural Nonprofit Alliance Rising Leaders Summit in New York City. This fantastic day-long professional development event blended interactive peer conversations with a panel of accomplished leaders in the nonprofit sector. The event covered everything from turning workplace challenges into opportunities, the five elements of promotability, building your personal brand, and your vision for your leadership future. I especially love that we left with actionable strategies and a plan to connect with fellow leaders beyond the event. Here are a few of my favorite takeaways:
- If everything is important, nothing is important.
- My work does not speak for itself; I need to be a visible leader.
- I don’t need to be an expert; I just need to bring value.
- My challenges are not unique to me or my company – the struggle is real.
- Networking with peers is extremely valuable and worth making time for in my busy schedule.
- Block 1-2 hours at the end of each week to reflect and strategize.
- Keep a no list.
- We can repurpose challenges so they become opportunities.
- What got you here won’t get you there.
- Keep interrupting and asking questions.
I’m so grateful for the opportunity to attend this fantastic event and look forward to the 2023 Rising Leaders Summit.